It's been encouraging to see how going "green" has become mainstream. We still have a long way to go as a society, but Oregon businesses have really been in the forefront.
We have been using green practices for many years here at Sandlake Country Inn, but now with the help of the Oregon Bed and Breakfast Guild's partnership with the group Sustainable Travel International, we became a certified "Green Lodging Establishment"in 2008! Be careful of those businesses who are "green washing"! That's the practice of just claiming they're green but are not able to provide proof.
Going "Green" doesn't have to mean that you can't enjoy luxury! In fact, most of our guests over the years have no idea that when they stay with us we are a "green" property.
Since we purchased the inn 9 years ago, we have made a commitment of our business practices to promote the sustainability of our planet's natural resources. Here are a few things we have done to help
- Buy locally when possible
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning products with all natural ingredients
- Use durable products instead of throw away
- Use e-mail for most all business communications
- All bubble baths, soaps & lotions are environmentally friendly...no chemicals, all natural products
- Purchase our lotions & bubble bath in bulk & provide each guests room with reusable glass containers instead of disposable travel bottles
- When an appliance breaks, we've replaced it with an energy efficient appliance.
- Purchased a TerraPass for each of our vehicles to eliminate it's carbon footprint
- Replaced light bulbs wherever possible with florescent or LED blubs
- Encourage our guests to reuse their towels if they feel comfortable doing so
- Reusable grocery bags when shopping (Costco has great ones 3 in a pack for $4.00)